|Poster from All We Are|
'We are pleased to announce the winners of the FullDome Awards of the 5th Fulldome Festival at the Jena Zeiss-Planetarium, which took place May 12 to 14, 2011.
'Winners in the "VisuaLiszt" category:
- "Liszt from Space" by Stefan Berke and Jan Zehn, Ten Art Communications, Jena. (independent media artists), endowed with 3,000 Euro (approx.$4,300),
- "How to disappear" by Merlin Fluegel, Offenbach Academy of Art and Design (students' work), endowed with 2,000 Euro (approx. $2,900),
- "The Metalliszt - Road to Victory", by Robert Sawallisch, Samuel Klemke and Hannes Wagner, Weimar Bauhaus University (students' work), endowed with 1,000 Euro (approx. $1,400),
- "Nanocam. A trip into biodiversity" by Laura Alonso, Producciones El Exilio S.L., Madrid, Spain (professional media production), special prize of the jury, endowed with 500 Euro (approx. $700),
- "Hysteria" by Pedro Zaz and United VJs, Sao Paulo, Brazil (independent artists), special prize of the jury, endowed with 500 Euro,
- "Lisztrausch" (Liszt Rapture) by Adrian Woldt, Weimar Bauhaus University (students' work), endowed with 500 Euro.
'Winners of the FullDome Awards:
- "The Royal Pea" by Helena Doyle and Rob Bidder, University of Westminster, London (students' work), Creative Fulldome Award, endowed with 500 Euro,
- "No 217" by Julia Wiesner, Lea Weber-Schaefer, Phil Schoell, Potsdam University of Applied Sciences (students' work), Performance FullDome Award, endowed with 500 Euro,
- "Schwimmende Einhoerner" (Floating Unicorns) by Stephanie Kaysz, Offenbach Academy of Art and Design (students' work), Audience FullDome Award, endowed with 500 Euro.
'Honorable Mentions have been presented to:
- "Mephisto Cubic" by Philip Mayer and Bruno Mathez, GaiaNova Productions, London (independent media artists),
- "All We Are" by Norrkoepping Visualization Center, Sweden (professional media production),
- "Jeepers Creepers" by Morehead Planetarium & Science Center, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA (professional media production),
- "Dynamic Earth - Marine Biosphere" by Spitz Creative Media, Chadds Ford, USA (professional media production),
- "Tale of Stars" by Kagaya Studios, Tokyo, Japan (professional media production).
'Never in the short history of fulldome festivals has there been more money available to give a material reward to quality, creativity and innovation in fulldome productions. An independent jury (see below) decided on the "VisuaLiszt Awards", a special category of the 5th FullDomeFestival and the Creative and Performance FullDome Awards sponsored by Carl Zeiss. The VisuaLiszt Awards have been sponsored by the Thuringian Ministry of
Education and Culture as part of the 2011 Franz-Liszt-Year, co-organized by the Kunstverein Apolda Avantgarde e.V. and supported by the Impulsregion Erfurt-Weimar-Jena. Carl Zeiss again sponsored 1,500 Euro for three FullDome Awards to student productions: the FullDome Creative Award (best idea), the FullDome Performance Award (best implementation) and the FullDome Audience Award balloted by the spectators of the Festival Gala.
'The Festival participants have enjoyed 28 short films from professional and independent producers and 42 fulldome clips produced by students, 30 submissions dealt with the topic of Franz Liszt and his music. Submissions came from all over the world: from Australia, Brazil, China, England, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Japan, The Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and USA. It was the first time in the short history of the Jena FullDome Festival the organizers had to decide on festivals submissions to include in the final festival program. Number and quality of submissions have reached a new level.
'The jury members:
- Dr. Nick Lambert, Digital Art Lecturer, Birkbeck University of London, UK
- Prof. Dr. Tiago de Oliveira Pinto, Institute of Musicology, The Liszt School of Music Weimar & Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Heike Sperling, Professor for Digital Media/Visual Music, Institute For Music And Media, Robert Schumann School of Music and Media, Dusseldorf, Germany
- Julia Lucas M.A., Scientific Member, Franz Liszt Centre, Liszt School of Music Weimar, Germany
- Eno Henze, independent artist and scenographer, Berlin, Germany
'Please mark your calendar for the next FullDome Festival in Jena: May 8 to12, 2012. The 6th FullDome Festival again will include full-length feature shows produced since 2009. The traditional Students Night will take place on Friday, May 11 and the Festival Gala on May 12, 2012.
'The organizers of the FullDome Festival like to thank all who have submitted to the FullDome Festival. All contributions from students, independent artists and professionals deserve credits. Our sincere thanks to all lecturers and experienced students who helped tremendously to encourage and support students in their first approach to the fulldome medium. Our thanks goes as well to the many visitors of the three days' Festival, some of them came all the way from Japan, the United States, Brazil and many European countries. We hope you all enjoyed the Festival as we did.'