|Toronto Raptor Jamaal Magloire getting ready to race against students from Shaughness|
"As the world gathers to celebrate the Olympic Games, Summer 2012 is the perfect time to bring SPORT home to the Centre ," says Lesley Lewis, CEO of the Ontario Science Centre. "While we watch our elite athletes perform inLondon, visitors to this exhibition will have the opportunity to test themselves and gain additional insight into the science behind athletic success."
The exhibition is designed to engage visitors in a variety of sports challenges. Activity level and skill vary so that all visitors, regardless of age and physical ability will find something to do - whether participating or serving as a spectator. The emphasis of the exhibition, through the prominence of health and safety information, is geared toward fitness rather than competition. The 12 multi-station interactive exhibits include:
- Baseball Pitch: Join the major leagues by pitching a baseball the regulation 60 feet 6 inches (18.5 metres) from pitcher's mound to home plate as the speed and accuracy of your pitch is measured and displayed.
- You Be the Judge: A must for armchair experts! Visitors can score an athletic performance and discover how difficult it can be to judge Olympic events. A freeze frame replay shows what expert judges look for.
- Little Fit and Fun: This is a workout space expressly designed for the young visitor. Equipment, costumes and apparatus are smaller in scale and designed with little tyke safety in mind.
- Green Screen Games: Visitors step into one of two virtual environments and become part of a game with images of real athletes. Visitors have the option to play volleyball or soccer.
- Balance Timer: Test your ability to balance by standing on this electronic teeter board. This exhibit measures how long you are able to maintain your balance. It demonstrates that balance is dependent on the sense of sight, nerve impulses from the semi-circular canals of the inner ear and sensations from muscles, tendons and joints.
About the Ontario Science Centre
The Ontario Science Centre delights, informs and challenges the communities we serve, enriching people's lives and understanding through engagement with science of local, national and global relevance. Since 1969, the Ontario Science Centre has welcomed over 45 million visitors, with an interactive approach that was the model for Science Centres around the world. It is the public centre for innovative thinking and provocative dialogue in science and technology, aiming to inspire a lifelong journey of curiosity, discovery and action to create a better future for the planet. The Ontario Science Centre is an agency of the Government of Ontario. Please visit us at Ontariosciencecentre.ca. www.Facebook.com/OntarioScienceCentre Twitter: @OntScienceCtr. YouTube:www.YouTube.com/user/OntarioScienceCentre.