This video sampling of recent winners mirrors the multi-discplinary nature of the field and the dramatic impact that EGD has on the built environment.
Awards are conferred by multi-disciplinary, international juries. Past jurors have included Henry Beer, Peter Dixon, Sue Gould, Graham Hanson, Lars Uwe Bleher, David Vanden-Eynden, Kelly Kolar, Mitchell Mauk, Ronald Shakespear, David Gibson, Paul Prejza, Lance Wyman, and Virginia Gehshan.
Tom Marquardt, Principal at Design Collaboratives, speaks about the Awards: "Like most studios, we have reduced our involvement in competitions for financial reasons and lack of return on investment for ourselves and our clients. That said, we continue to make exceptions for those--such as SEGD--that represent the best of a specific design discipline. The SEGD Design Awards bring prestige and a return on investment by validating the caliber of work we provide. And a winning project adds to our clients' cachet."
In the 2013 SEGD Global Design Awards, SEGD invites designers to submit their best work in the following categories:
- Dynamic Environments: media facades, interactive architecture, media-based exhibitions, digital billboards, electronic public art
- Office/Workplace Environments: office buildings, business parks, mixed-use centers, industrial and manufacturing buildings, convention and conference centers
- Leisure/Entertainment Environments: walking and hiking trails, recreation centers, theme parks, arenas, stadiums, theaters, concert halls, cinemas, hotels, resorts, restaurants, spas, fitness centers, parks, gardens, cruise ships, marinas, golf courses
- Educational/Institutional Environments: healthcare facilities, libraries, schools, campuses, government facilities
- Transportation Environments: airports, ports, bus, rail, roadways, parking facilities
- Retail/Commercial Environments: service businesses, malls, storefronts, interiors, food courts, showrooms, outdoor advertising
- Residential Environments: apartments, condominiums, developments, retirement centers, dormitories
- Urban Projects: cities, mixed-use complexes, downtowns, neighborhoods, wayfinding systems, streetscapes
- Exhibitions: museums, zoos, interpretive exhibits
- Trade Shows/Temporary Events: expositions, pavilions, athletic events, festivals
- Master Plans/Planning/Research: conceptual ideas, research, recommendation studies, sign/identity/branding standards, programs
- Miscellaneous: signage, architectural graphics, placemaking, identity programs, public art, donor recognition programs, maps, symbol/pictogram systems, sign codes, gateways, landmarks